3.05.2011

...I can't believe I can make quiche

Quiche is one of those things I thought was hard to make. Like sushi--you just don't make it at home--you save it for going out...or you buy it at Costco. But this quiche isn't tough to make and is so tasty. I think it's pretty too and makes me feel like a gourmet chef. It shows that I can actually make something that doesn't have cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup in it! This recipe comes from The Whole Foods Market Cookbook--which I love.




Spinach and Pine Nut Quiche

1 (9 inch) frozen ready-made piecrust
1 1/2 tbls olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
6 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp dried sage, or 1 tbls chopped fresh
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 large red bliss potato, steamed until firm-tender, sliced 1/4 inch thick

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove pie crust from freezer and let thaw for 10 minutes. Prick bottom with a fork and bake for 7-10 minutes until lightly browned. Remove crust from oven to cool.

Heat olive oil in saute pan. Add the garlic, spinach, salt, pepper, and sage. Cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute, or until spinach is just wilted. Stir in pine nuts.

In a small bowl, mix the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. In another bowl whisk the milk and eggs together. 

Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture on the piecrust. Top with half the spinach mixture. Place the potato slices on top of the spinach. Add half the remaining cheese mixture and then the remaining spinach mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese. Place pie pan on a sheet pan. Carefully pour in the milk mixture. Bake for 45-50 min, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before cutting.


1 comment:

  1. Great work! It looks beautiful. I have never made quiche but I think I would like to make the mini ones.

    ReplyDelete