2.28.2011

...I'm on my way to membership in the 21st century

I finally got my KitchenAid stand mixer out of its box. It was a gift for our wedding, which was 10 months ago. I'm revealing how much I don't bake! 


Well, I have baked a little in the last 10 months, but I'm just not used to this modern kitchen technology. I believe it stems from summers without electricity in Quebec. We helped my mom bake a lot of pies and what not during the summers and there were no blenders, microwaves, and definitely no KitchenAid stand mixers. 

To whip cream we simply used a fork or an old school egg beater like this one: which ironically is made by KitchenAid. As I recall, our egg beater didn't have a plush red handle as shown here. The plastic part of the handle had fallen off and the thin metal would dig into your palm as your hand would cramp and forearm start to shake after 10 minutes of frantic grinding to no avail--still no stiff whip cream. I would switch hands until the right was equally cramped and shaking before the whip cream was finally ready. 

I got so used to baking without electricity during the summer that when we came back to Utah I would forget about modern kitchen technology. I would pull out a fork and start stirring cream like crazy, trying to get it to stiffen. My friends would stare at me in bewilderment wondering, what the heck are you doing?! 





Boy I like my new mixer! First items mixed in my mixer were ingredients for banana bread. It's a super yummy recipe from my Aunt Lisa. I add chocolate chips and I don't put in pecans for Dave and in case my sister Michelle stops by.


Cream:
2 eggs
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar

Add:
3 mashed bananas
1/2 cup water

Add:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup flour

Pour in 6 small, greased pans, bake 30 minutes at 350 or 2 medium pans for 45 minutes

1 comment: