1.09.2011

...touring was quite the adventure

Dave and I decided to get out and use our legs touring instead of sticking around Snowbird yesterday. We rode up the Gad 2 lift because there is a boot pack from the top that takes you out into some good backcountry. But as we were getting on the lift the sign read, "Gad 2 gate closed." Bummer.

We rode the lift anyway and instead traversed clear out around Tigers Tail. The traverse is kinda sketchy in parts with a narrow trail and some exposure. A "no fall zone" if you're not looking to break yourself. So it took us 1 1/2 hours to get to the area you can usually boot pack to in 10 minutes.

Then we were skinning along a steep ridge that is south facing; therefore, because we haven't had new snow in a week--crusty and icy. Super slow going. We got to the top of a ridge and decided to boot up it for a while. Dave popped off his ski, went to grab it, and...zoom! It went shooting down the slope we had just traversed up. Bummer #2.

We watched in horror as the ski kept going and going. It veered into a small tree, turned backwards, and went out of sight. I'm amazed that Dave didn't curse the whole time. Not that I've ever heard him curse. But if he was going to...now would be the appropriate time. We decided to both make our way down to where the ski had disappeared. It was nerve-racking for me because the slope was very steep and a sheet of crusty ice. Plus I had heard something in the nearby bushes that I was sure was a bear or mountain lion (I still have a vibrant imagination at the age of 27).

Luckily when the ski had turned backwards the hairs on the skins had slowed it down until it came to a stop in an open clearing. We decided we were over it and didn't want to make our way back up the slope to our goal of skiing the Birthday Chutes. So we headed down the canyon and the snow was all really crummy and hard to ski. I fell once and my ski went shooting off, but was quickly snagged by a tree. I rarely fall. Bummer #3.


I was super frustrated because my legs were so tired that I could barely ski and we had hiked a long way for no good turns. I kept just making a few turns and then stopping to take a rest as Dave waited for me. I wanted to sit down and cry.

On the way down I was surprised to see some snowshoers coming up the trail. I didn't know we were so close to the bottom! I've never been so happy to see snowshoers (usually I just view them as people who've chosen the lowest form of transportation).

We ended the day on a good note when we were quickly given a ride when hitchhiking, and Snowbird was giving out free warm cookies in the parking lot. Phew. We made it back with all our gear and no injuries. Dave promised me that from now on we're only hiking to places where we'll get some good turns on the way down. I've built enough character--I don't need to build any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment