3.21.2011

...fun times were had by all

I got super stressed out last week and gave myself an ulcer...I think. Between school, the house hunt, and job searching, I had a lot on my mind. Good thing I'm married to Dave "fun times" Madsen. His fun quota had not yet been filled for the week with heli skiing in the Ruby Mountains on Tuesday and early tram powder runs on Thursday, so he packed up the 4-Runner with our bikes and tent and ordered me to get in the car. I didn't complain because we were going to Moab!

Little did we know the Canyonlands Half Marathon was taking place in Moab this weekend. We got the last campsite on Potash Road. Phew!



I boycotted Chaco by wearing my sparkle shoes around camp instead. I like my sparkle shoes. I need to start my own camping clothing line. Everything will be very impractical and steezy steez steez.



Carrying on the Pat Sorensen tradition of taco salad for at least one dinner on every camping trip. Olives for Dave, tomatoes for me. 





I was anticipating the billions of stars at night in the desert, but it was a full moon instead. Which was cool too. On Saturday, March 19,  the moon was closer to the Earth than it has been in 18 years. It's a supermoon. Do you think it played a role in the Japan tsunami? 



We drove through Arches National Park and hiked to Delicate Arch in the almost full moon on Friday. Saturday night was cloudy, so I'm glad we didn't wait for the "supermoon"to take our hike. 


I usually feel bad for the other arches because Delicate Arch gets all the attention. But look at it! It deserves the attention. It's absolutely stunning. 


Sorry other arch on the way to Delicate Arch, you're just not as cool. 


If you travel alone in Arches on a full moon, watch out for the computer chip hooded hairy man with a bad eye. He looks menacing, but really he's very amiable. The worst he'll do is snore and maybe toot a little.


On Saturday we mountain biked out to Klondike Bluffs and hiked up Negro Bill Canyon. The canyon has a pretty stream that you follow all the way up to a natural bridge that is still forming. 




I didn't know my sister, cousin, their significant others, and co. were in town for the half marathon. So we all met up for dinner at Fiesta Mexicana, or Fiesta Americana, as Dave likes to misname it. The man in the middle is not an employee. Cousin Spencer really has the Fiesta Mexicana spirit!



I love the desert. Someday I want a house sitting on red dirt with junipers, cactus, and sage brush for a yard. And maybe a lizard like Rango for a pet.


My life would be all seriousness and stress without "fun times" Dave. Thanks for the great trip to Moab darlin!


3 comments:

  1. that really does sound like a rootin' tootin' fabulous time!


    and your sparkle shoes were lovely dahhling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are the ultimate partiers. Did Dave have to carry you around in your sparkle shoes like he did when you only brought fashionable black leather boots to our house in dead winter on a ski trip? I love it. Glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like fun! I remember camping and eating your yummy taco salad. The good old days!

    ReplyDelete