12.29.2010

...sorry to continually interrupt our run.

I couldn't keep my camera out of my pocket when Dave and I would run in the morning in California. Here are some of my favorite finds...





Woodpeckers peck all these thousands of holes in the oak trees and then stuff acorns in them. The woodpeckers that did this are actually called Acorn Woodpeckers and they're found in the hills of California as well as other places in the southwestern U.S. Acorns are a large part of their diet and they store them in trees as a kind of granary. The woodpeckers will try storing their acorns in almost anything. Kent has fought them for years as they peck the wood siding on their house to bits. He finally put up this net all over the house and it has worked. No more Woody Woodpecker! This vine likes it though.







This last picture is a rock pile where Dave used to build forts. There is a ledge where he had a nice place to build fires and practice being the outdoorsman that he now is :) 


Dave has told me many times how grateful he is that his parents decided to live somewhere he could have some space to roam around fishing and shooting his pellet gun. I'd say he was a very lucky kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment